Things are getting spooky this month with Halloween fast approaching. To celebrate, take our creepy quiz on all things that go bump in the night, with answers taken from the pages of Who’s Who and Who Was Whooooooo… if you dare!
1) Which biochemist is also an Honorary Vice-President of The Magic Circle?
a. Prof. James Barber
b. Prof. Edwin Alfred Dawes
c. Prof. Anne Dell
2) Which author wrote the spooky stories of The Demon Headmaster and Jason Banks and the Pumpkin of Doom?
a. Gillian Cross
b. Humphrey Carpenter
c. Michael Morpurgo
3) What type of ghosts does David Wheeler say he likes to chase in his recreations?
a. The ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future
b. The ghosts of Jacobean playwrights
c. The ghosts of Ottoman gardeners
4) What’s the name of the live-action Halloween event that Jeremy Phillips, QC originated?
b. Terror Town
c. Creepy Hollow
5) Fill in the blank: Patrick Ness wrote the 2011 children’s book A ______ Calls.
6) Which of these academics has not published research on witchcraft?
a. Prof. Ronald Hutton
b. Prof. Lyndal Roper
c. Prof. Susan Cooper
7) What type of creature does Comdr Sir Peter Ogilvy-Wedderburn say he likes to hunt?
b. Loch Ness Monster
8) Which musical artist played the Goblin King in the 1986 film Labyrinth?
a. David Bowie
b. Sir Mick Jagger
c. Annie Lennox
9) Which actor and writer lists magic and conjuring in their recreations?
a. Steve Pemberton
b. Reece Shearsmith
c. Terry Gilliam
- Prof. Edwin Alfred Dawes
- Gillian Cross
- The ghosts of Ottoman gardeners
- Prof. Susan Cooper. Meanwhile Prof. Ronald Hutton has written ‘Witches, Druids and King Arthur’ and Prof. Lyndal Roper has written ‘The Witch Craze: terror and fantasy in Baroque Germany’ and ‘The Witch in the Western Imagination’.
- Loch Ness Monster
- David Bowie
- Reece Shearsmith